There are days when we all simply feel burnt out. Seeing the positive side of things may not be easy during this period. Not only are you physically weak, but emotionally and mentally, everything seems to be dark and heavy. When this happens, stop whatever you are doing and slow down. Remember that your overall health is more important than those deadlines and quotas. More often than not, we put other people before ourselves. There is a simple solution and just it’s being kinder to yourself. Being kinder to yourself is a way of loving yourself by doing things that will enrich your being. It isn’t selfishness but instead, a powerful way to nourish yourself in terms of physical, mental and emotional health. When you make this a part of your routine, then you are better prepared to face another set of challenges that life may throw your way. Here are 8 things that you ought to be doing now:
1. Sleep at least 8 hours a day. This is the age old golden rule. This will allow your body to recover from all the daily chores and activities. Detach from your gadgets when you reach your home. Make this a habit and be kinder to yourself.
2. Take time to chill. Disperse beneficial essential oils with your Bellasentials Aromatherapy Diffuser to relax and take the edge off. Here are some essential oils to try. Remember, scents are personal so try different oils until you find the one that helps you the most. Here’s some essential oils for you to try:
• Lavender Essential Oil – Reduces mental stress, relaxing and calming, can help you sleep
• Rosemary Essential Oil – Eases stress. Promotes mental clarity.
• Patchouli Essential Oil – Supports the nervous system. Has calming and soothing effect.
• Neroli Absolute – Uplifting, calming and promotes positive thinking.
• Jasmine Essential Oil – Uplifting and relaxing.
• Rose Essential Oil – comforting, soothing and relaxing.
3. Start a Life Journal. By doing so, you write down goals and set realistic deadlines. You can chart your progress along the way and reflect while you back track on past activities. You can delegate big tasks by dividing them into smaller ones. This will help you organize your tasks better so you avoid getting overwhelmed and stressed.
4. Listen to great music, appreciate art and do sports. Whatever outlet you find that makes you happy, do it. Make a playlist of songs to combat stress. Sing in the shower if you must. Read a good book and visit art galleries just to please your visual senses. Take up yoga or if boxing is your thing, then go do it. Are you the artsy type? Do adult coloring books or create your own art. Get in touch with your inner artist and create with wild abandon. There are no limits. Explore and take up a new hobby.
5. Meditate. Take 5 to 15 minutes to simply be silent. Focus your attention on your breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. Just be in this moment and do not entertain other thoughts. Practice this daily before you start the day.
6. Indulge in healthy food. Stay away from fast food and processed food. Choose organic when you can. Try experimenting with healthy recipes and see how they will have beneficial effects on your body. Probiotic food, fruits, veggies, nuts and dark chocolate are all said to boost the immune system and reduce levels of stress hormones.
7. Keep smiling and always have a positive outlook. This can be easier said than done but practice the art of smiling and training your brain to see the good side of everything. Fake it until it feels real. Surround yourself with loving and supportive friends as well. Relax and love yourself more. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
8. Treat yourself- It doesn’t have to be anything expensive. Think of something that makes you happy. If could be a new hobby that you have been wanting to try. A new restaurant perhaps? A new pair of shoes? A visit to the salon? A short getaway trip? Anything that tickles your fancy, go ahead and do it. Life is indeed too short for what if’s and regrets. Do the things that will make your heart smile.