It cannot be denied but next to the bedroom and powder room, the next most important room in the house is the living room. This is where the family bonds after dinner time or where good friends hangout during social gatherings. Sometimes, you even find yourself having some alone time with a good movie or book. Either way, it’s a room you spend a lot of time in, which makes it very important to feel good in it.
Here are some useful tips to liven up the living room:
• Add a new rug- Yes, a rug adds drama to your living room. Find a color that compliments the furniture and walls. Be experimental and don’t just stick to the usual beiges.
• Add a pop of color with pillows to your couch- Adding an eye-catching color can totally make a difference. If the room is predominantly beige or white, then teal,salmon or mint green can cut the monotony. Try different colors until you find the one that makes the most sense to you.
• Hang artwork on the wall- There are so many choices so look around. There are endless styles and genres to select from. What matters most is if the artwork speaks to you and of course, if it is a good piece to hang in your living room. Choose pieces that are the right size to fit in your living room space. A piece that is too big might overwhelm the whole space. It can also grab the attention away from smaller pieces such as sculptures and other trinkets in the room. If you have a big space, then by all means get huge artwork. The bolder the better. Just make sure everything is the right scale and proportion. There should be balance and sufficient breathing space to avoid looking cramped and cluttered.
• Put on some lights- Light fixtures can add drama and mood to a room. It can either make a room feel warm and cozy or awkward and uncomfortable. Ask the experts for help. Also put into consideration the activities that are done in your living room so you can adjust your lights accordingly.
• Diffuse essential oils- An easy way to change the vibe in a room without much effort is by adding a scent. If you want to make the room seem more open, then diffuse citrus oils to freshen the air. Use a good quality diffuser like BellaSentials Aromatherapy Diffuser. If you want to calm things down a bit then lavender oil is for you. Scents are personal so experiment until you find the one you fancy.
• Go green- Put an indoor plant or a flower arrangement in the room. This will make the room feel more relaxed and soothing. When picking flower arrangements, pick colors that will go with the paint on the walls and the furniture. When picking indoor plants, make sure that you know the care instructions so that your new green friends last in your home.
All in all, a bit of experimentation can develop your sense of style. It is always good to have a makeover once in a while to put back some excitement into your home. Adding new couch pillows, rearranging the furniture or adding a new artwork and picking a personalized scent to diffuse in your home can go a long way.