Life is not always a Candy land sprinkled with rainbows and butterflies. There will always come a time when you’d feel down, hurt or figuratively sinking in too many emotions and you already feel like dying. You don’t need to hoard pills, drown in alcohol or hide behind a huge tub of ice cream just to get over it. You’d only feel worse the next day. There’s a more effective way to battle anxiety and depression: Aromatherapy!!! Aromatherapy is a natural way of treating health and emotional issues by means of essential oils which are scents extracted from plants. Each scent, each plant has unique properties that helps one overcome or alleviate their suffering. It may it be physical, emotional or psychological. For anxiety and depression, these are the oils known to reduce, pacify, prevent or eliminate these episodes…
1. Frankincense – known as the king of oils, it is known to relax breathing, alleviates fear, anxiety, stress & nervousness.
2. Bergamot – an oil that has calming properties derived from unripe citrus fruit from a bitter orange tree. It is great for relaxing, elevates the mood and helps restore the mind and body to homeostasis or its calmest state. It provides major relief from stress, anxiety, headaches and insomnia.
3. Wild Orange – another citrus smelling oil which instantly uplifts the mood and reduces anxiety. Once inhaled, it brings a sense of happiness and well-being. It alleviates these feelings: panic, nervousness, anger and irritation as it promotes enhanced circulation and purifies the liver and gall bladder.
4. Lavender – this oil for all seasons works wonders especially when dealing with stress and anxiety. When inhaled, it has this calming effect that battles headaches, migraines, fear, depression, nervousness, hypertension and insomnia.
5. Ylang-Ylang – this oil is extracted from flowers on the Cananga tree. It has a floral, relaxing scent that balances energies. When inhaled, it brings about feelings of confidence and balance. It is also used to treat insomnia, anxiety and depression. This oil is best used blended with other oils like Bergamot.
6. Roman Chamomile – if you’re a fan of the calming Chamomile tea, then you would love this too! This oil has been around for 2000 years and helps relieve a person from vomiting, insomnia, restlessness or ADD. It also effectively reduces stress and muscle tension.
7. Rose Geranium – oil with a nice flower scent that is a great mood booster. It relaxes and calms people by balancing one’s hormonal levels. When inhaled, it provides a feeling of calmness and soothing sensation by stimulating the lymphatic system.
8. Sandalwood – this oil has a sweet, wood-ish, comforting scent and contains sedative properties that combat anxiety, tension and stress. It is also known to improve quality of sleep and treats insomnia.
9. Sweet Marjoram – this does not only relieve one from feeling anxious and depressed, but also improves circulation and treats menstrual cramps. Its spicy scent brings the body &mind to a relaxing state and eases feelings of fear, loneliness, grief and rejection.
10. Clary Sage – another oil that reduces anxiety and provides a temporary soothing effect on your mind and body due to its anti-depressant properties.
You can mix these oils for that ultimate anxiety and depression buster! Here are some popular blends which you should definitely try:
1. Calming – An equal mix of lavender, sweet marjoram, roman chamomile, ylang ylang, sandalwood, and vanilla bean. This is a relaxing blend that promotes calmness and sense of well-being.
2. Joyful – An equal mix of lavender, tangerine, lemon myrtle, ylang ylang, osmanthus, and sandalwood which could bring about feelings of happiness and euphoria when inhaled.
3. Grounding – A mix of spruce, sandalwood, blue tansy and frankincense. It is a popular blend that not only calms the nerves, but also reduces stress, boosts mood and re-generates the cells.
4. Respiratory – A mix of laurel leaf, peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon and ravensara leaf, and Cardamom Seed. It does not only treat respiratory problems, but also provides a feeling of total calmness and helps one breathe deeper.
5. Balance – a mix of spruce, rosewood, frankincense, and blue tansy. It brings about a sense of tranquillity, making you feel super relaxed and serene. The oils in this blend contain anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties making it a nice healthy option.
6. Serenity – A combination of lavender, sweet marjoram, ylang ylang, sandalwood and vanilla. All these oils provide a sense of calmness and relaxes the nerves. It is perfect for those who want to sleep correctly and soundly.
Try these oils and mixes to help improve your everyday life and disposition! For the best results use with BellaSentials Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser. What’s your favorite?